Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Road


I was driving through an unfamiliar city, dependent on my GPS to lead the way. When I made a right turn as instructed, I found myself on Road. No name, just Road. I was confident that even without an official name, I was going in the right direction because I trusted my GPS to guide me to my intended destination. However, not being able to name my location made me consider how we approach uncertainty. How do we handle moving forward without knowing exactly where we are?

There will be times when we have to make a decision—take a turn—that is for our ultimate good without having the entire roadmap in view. We may have to relocate, go back to school, end a relationship, embark on a new career path, start an exercise regiment, or develop a financial plan. Taking that first step is often the hardest. Even knowing that change will allow us to live fully, or at least to live better, fear of that road with no name can bring so much stress and anxiety that we refuse make that turn.

We all have an internal GPS. Most of us have convinced ourselves that it’s faulty because of a few bad choices. However, the GPS isn't faulty. We fluctuate between refusing to follow its directions, being too distracted to listen, or trying to use it in a manner that it wasn't intended. GPS was built to guide you, not to drive for you. It was designed to direct you as you travel, not after you've already arrived. Your internal GPS was created to take you forward, not in reverse.

No matter how anxiety-causing, unnerving, and scary progression can be, we need to exercise trust that we’ll arrive at our destination and not be detoured because of fear. Trust your internal GPS to give you direction and trust yourself enough to hear it correctly. The greatest benefit to driving down a road with no name is that you can name it. As you travel toward your best life, you can call the road whatever you need to in order to encourage yourself. Continue following the road, even if for a moment it curves, dips, and has no name.

No comments:

Post a Comment