Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Who You Are

Maya Angelou once said, “When people show you who they are believe them.” I typically think of this quote when trying to manage the expectations I have for others. This week, though, Angelou’s words took on a twist. I realized that my behavior also shows who I am and I should believe that as well.

There are several characteristics that we know we have and it is the combination of those characteristics that make us unique. For instance, I know that I enjoy solitude, I love to travel, and I am attracted to intellect and kindness. As a result, my life reflects my preferences. I actively make time for me to be in my own space. I have made traveling a priority and not simply a wish-list. I invest in relationships that mentally and emotionally provide a connection and growth potential. My choices are deliberate because I know who I am.

Some aspects of my character require me to make difficult choices. One has been my decision not to ingest negativity. I do not desire to be in the company of those who bring tension, constant complaints, and refuse to make progress. This decision has dictated that I back away from certain conversations and people. It’s not always easy, but it is necessary. This week I questioned if I was being too harsh until I considered Angelou’s quote. Not only should I believe others when they show me who they are, but I should also believe myself. I made a decision regarding negativity. My actions indicate that my decision is important to me. Refusing to consume negativity is a part of who I am.

What characteristics do you have? What have you done to embrace those traits and make them part of your lifestyle? Remember, your actions show others who you are. More importantly, though, your actions indicate who you are to someone far more significant. You.

No comments:

Post a Comment